Friday, February 21, 2014

THE WORST OF FRANCE



What? You did not expect me to say just nice things about my host country.....
In the end it's not a major "worst" but does deserve mention. The beef. I could stop here and just show you pictures, but I`ll explain a bit.

I love meat. While I do eat pork and chicken, top on the list is beef. And it`s hard to believe that two years on I still am a believer of finding a steak that comes close to anything at The Keg. I am not mentioning any celebrity steakhouses on the Las Vegas Strip, since I consider them to be on the other end of the scale. Too good.  I am talking Friday lunch, Steak Frites. 
Victoria gave up long time ago, but stubborn I am and seemingly too much so. There has to be steak here that`s manageable to eat. 

I mentioned my quest to an acquaintance of ours who graciously shared his " ìnside" tip for a great wood fire grilled Entrecote. Maybe I am gullible and not stubborn, but I followed up on his recommendation. The place remains nameless, this is not a restaurant review, it's a gripe about beef. Located in a town with more than 20K people, right next to a hotel, I should have seen the red flags fly when at 12.30 on  a Friday the place was empty. I joined two other solo diners in a place that seats 180. Maybe it's an evening place more so, or a special occasion restaurant. 
Right front and center they advertise their house special "Entrecote, Frites et Salad. 
The giant grill in the middle of the restaurant was on fire and I hoped for the very best. Do you remember the post from 2 years ago, when we all went out to Buffalo Grill here in Cognac? Why did I not stop then?


 http://theceliachusband.blogspot.fr/2012/03/le-steak-fail.html

The steak was, I am not sure what to say. It was bad. VERY bad. I am trying to find a comparison but am not able to come up with anything. 
I ate some of the fries to get some of my money's worth, knowing full well, that if I send it back I might end up on the grill.....But I did speak with the lady running the show, hoping for a reduction or free dessert. But all she came up with was that it's their specialty and nobody ever complains like that.  Suit yourself.

So this is it for my beef consumption in France. LIDL sells some prepackaged Entrecotes and quite frankly, they are better than any restaurant steak here. 




 A BRILLIANT FIRST IMPRESSSION. WHAT A GRILL

L'ENTRECOTE......

AND I AM DONE

MUSEUMS ARE BUSIER

TRIPADVISOR


MAKE IT MYSELF NOW. HOPE HAS DIED

8 comments:

Emm said...

Is it the meat itself, or the cooking thereof? What you show in the picture looks badly cooked and full of gristle, seldom a good combination.

H.Peter said...


For sure it starts with the quality of meats. Just not there. My wife thinks big part of the challenge is the actual cutting of meats.

having enjoyed prime beef in Calgary and the US for so many years, my standards may be higher than the average diner?
But seriously, I had better a steak sandwich at the Waffle House in Savannah, than that piece of donkey ass here.....

Emm said...

it could well be in the cut. It looks "off", somehow, even to my amateur eye.

puppyfur said...

We have yet to have a single piece of decent French beef. This is so true but the French seem happy enough to eat it...we have resorted to marinating stuff for days just to tederize it! I think I'll try the Lidl version next. :-)

H.Peter said...


sadly you will like it Puppyfur.
Not even sure where it comes from.

Once in a while we bought a shank of beef and made a stew, which after hours of stewing was tender. BUT I WANT A STEAK SANDWICH

Now I better find something great to write about France....

puppyfur said...

Haha! Told my husband about it and we're going to try it. Will check l'origine.

Ken Broadhurst said...

It's weird how people in North America like that grain-fed, fatty, full-of-growth-hormones beef. I much prefer French grass-fed beef, cooked rare. Have you tried basses-côtes? Or bavette? Or onglet? Rumsteak? Faux-filet? Entrecôte is the most gristly French cut of beef (even though sometimes it can be really good).

H.Peter said...


I tried most cuts, Ken. Including Filet. I tried small town butchers, super markets and a Halal guy.
Let's step aside from the US and Canada (grass fed, hormone free) and agree that there is better Beef in Europe.
France can't be best at everything.
Germany sucks at wines......