Thursday, July 15, 2010

MAKE YOUR OWN MAYONAISE. PLEASE.

It's easy. And much much tastier than any store bought Mayo. We do use Helman's at our house, but more often than not, I make a patch of Mayo.
Do not fear Salmonella, do not listen do people who tell you it will go bad in two days. Properly refrigerated, I ate home made Mayo a month after I made it. Did not get sick.

All you need is two egg yolks, salt, pepper, some Dijon, lemon juice ( helps blend the yolk and oil) and some good oil of your choice. Use Olive Oil and you got home made Aioli, that stuff they serve at all the hip places. I doubt theirs is made in house, they just call it that, because it's a funky name....

We have one of those Kitchen Aid mixers, but trust me, I made mayo by hand as well as with a very simple mixer.
All ingredients have to be the same temperature, preferably room temp, this way nothing separates and it all gels well in less than 5 minutes. Plenty of measurments online, you can Google it, I just wing it. When the consistency looks right (somewhat like whipped butter), it's done.

Mayonaise, besides spreading it on some good sandwich, is a great base for so many diffferent sauces. Today I added chopped pickles, parsley, sour cream, capers and chives and quickly had the best Tartare Sauce.
Take half mayo, half ketchup, add some horse radish or Wasabi and you got the dipping sauce I use for those GF Paninis.

With home made Mayonaise, the possibilities are endless. So. For a change, please make your own and tell us all about it, next time you visit GF PATISSERIE


THAT'S ALL YOU NEED FOR MAYO.

WHISK UP YOLKS, S&P, MUSTARD

ADD SOME LEMON JUICE AND KEEP WHIPPING

ADD OIL SLOWLY UNTIL IT LOOKS LIKE THIS

YOUR FAMILY WILL LOVE YOU

MUSTARD, SOUR CREAM, CAPERS, PICKLE, PARSLEY, CHIVES

 = SAUCE TARTARE

8 comments:

Astrid DesLandes said...

Aioli has garlic in it! ;-)

H.Peter said...

Hey Astrid,

yes it does. The traditional way.

Monica said...

I love making my own Mayo.

If I travel, I take a jar of purchased mayo. As a side note, there are two brands I can buy (the first one is available at Superstore) called Canoline (eggless too!) and Vegenaise with grapeseed oil both made with apple cider vinegar

And if you visit Trader Joe's in the USA, they have a reaaaallly really good wasabi mayonnaise made with apple cider vinegar.

Maki said...

I haven't made my own mayo before but I'm lucky in that I often get my inlaws to bring back tubes of the full fat mayo from europe when they make their twice yearly trips. But I'm gonna have to give this a try sometime too.

H.Peter said...

Hey Monica,

every time we do visit the States, Trader Joe is a must.

H.Peter said...

hallo Maki,

I only have vague memories of store bought European Mayo. I think it was called Kuhnert?

The hotel I apprenticed at (way back) made their own. Every Monday....with eggs that came straight from the farm in the same village.

婉婷 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maki said...

Yes! Kuner is the kind they bring back for us. Tasty and full of fat. Yum. I think you can buy it here at K&K foodliner or even the Italian store, though I have never checked.

I will still make my own mayo sometime soon :)